Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Readjusting to Life in America


It took a little while, but it seems I've finally readjusted to American culture once again. The strangest part has been trying to keep the energy and general character expansion and learning I experienced in Ghana going back at home in suburban Massachusetts. Being immersed in another culture, and having limited time to learn, I felt pressured to be constantly present and to seek out every opportunity to see or hear something new. We had structured lessons every day, and ample opportunity to seek out further lessons. There were chances to experience going to markets, religious ceremonies, and funerals, less than a half hour walk or drive from Dagbe. Now, at home, I hope I can continue to hold onto the attitude I had in Kopeyia in my daily life here in the States.

I'm finding it even more difficult than I imagined to explain my experiences in Ghana to friends and family, even though it seems like yesterday I was teaching songs to the group(as depicted above). I'm glad to have recordings and photos to help, as it is almost impossible to explain the different music style we practiced at Dagbe.


Like others mentioned, it's weird having almost unlimited electricity, water, and food right at my disposal once again. Going into a grocery store a few days after I returned was very strange, I found myself yearning for the chaos and personality of a busy Ghanian marketplace. I have a renewed disgust with TV ads and general consumerism I see around me. However, I do have a renewed sense of appreciation for how lucky I am to have the comforts I do have, and have motivation to continue studying music, both in practicing cello and maintaining the songs I learned in Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment