Monday, May 25, 2015

'Till Next Time, Kopyeia


My time at the Dagbe center has come to a close. I simply cannot believe it. In a little over 16 days I have experienced a completely new world I was not expecting. So here are some thoughts.

I am usually not the kind of person that can make friends in a short period of time. This trip has proven otherwise. The group of people I have been travelling with are some of the nicest people to have around for an extended period of time. There was little to no drama and everyone was so supportive of each other. The staff at the center also proved to be an excellent group of incredibly caring and talented people. They push you but without making you feel inadequate. Too often back home I feel that professors make mistakes seem like the end of the world. But here it is simply something that can easily be fixed so that you can do your best. I think this attitude is what I will miss the most. On another note I believe I have learned a little bit more about myself.

I have learned that I am capable of stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things. I see this most in the dancing we did. I expected to come here and really hone my drumming skills but instead found myself working on (and excelling) at dancing than at drumming. I will definitely bust some of the moves I have learned here on American dance floors.

So this is goodbye to Kopyeia for now. However, I know it will not be my last.

So long for now,
Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment